Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Maker Space

Makers Space- Design Lab

The maker space in Design Lab is not like anything I have ever experienced in any other school. This is all new to me, especially using the tools that we use. The thing I like most about the Maker Space is that we get to use tools that we were probably to young to use in the past. I also enjoy how we use group work to get through the projects that we do. For example, everyone gets to do different things and they are all hands on. The only problem we have in the Maker Space is that sometimes it can get a little warm. If you were to walk in the room, you would be able to tell that it is warmer than any other part of the building. This is a problem because it's already warm while we are working and as we are working, we will start to get even hotter. This may lead to sweating and being uncomfortable in the room.
This experience is different than any other school because all the schools that I went to has nothing like the maker space and the tools that we use. So far I have not done anything like this before.
We are learning a lot of different things in the maker space. One of things that we are learning in the maker space is how to sand things. When you sand wood, it smooth's out the edges. It also smooth's out whatever else you sand. Another thing we learned in the maker space is how to classify screws and how to drill them into wood. Those are more specific things that we are learning in the maker space, but overall, we are learning about how to make chairs for the Ingenuity Fest. We are mostly using math when we work in the maker space. We need math for mostly everything that we do and use in there. Things like how far apart should the screws be and where you need to cut the wood all need to be calculated, so math is very important in the Maker Space. We use are social skills because we have to work together, mostly in groups. We will use these skills in our future because we need math for almost everything in life and we can use our social skills to get along with people better in life. The most surprising things I have done so far is use the saw. It is very interesting to me because I have never used a saw before because you have to be a certain age to use one. The thing that has surprised me the most about the maker space is how people work together as a team to get  things done. I learned things about myself while working in the Maker Space. One thing I noticed about myself is that I can work with other people better than how I used to at other schools. I also noticed that I am able to work with tools without a problem.
I think the staff is conducting this school the way they are because it helps students understand things better. It helps them because the things that we do is hands on and not on a piece of paper. Overall, I think that the Maker Space and everything we do in it is a great idea because it helps students come together and make things for our society.

                                                                                                                       ~Cat

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. Love hearing how you are learning because sounds a lot like how our school in Auckland, New Zealand is operating. I'm a Geography and Social Studies teacher normally so loved it when I moved to Hobsonville Point and could work in the workshop as part of my teaching.

    Would love to see some pictures of the chairs you make. The Ingenuity Fest sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete